Main Page Not logged inLogin

For Questions, Changes or Clarifications regarding the Adjuster Licensing information, please send an email to

Last Reviewed / Modified On 30 Nov 2017.


License Types

Independent Adjuster

Independent Adjusters are licensed in Montana

Public Adjuster

No individual in Montana shall act as or hold himself or herself out to be a public adjuster as to subjects of insurance located or to be performed unless licenses as such public adjuster.

Catastrophe Adjuster

An adjuster license or qualifications are not required for an adjuster who is sent into this state by and on behalf of an insurer or adjusting business entity for the purpose of investigating or making adjustments of a particular loss under an insurance policy or for the adjustment of a series of losses resulting from a catastrophe common to all losses.


The term Adjuster does not include a:

(i) licensed attorney who is qualified to practice law in this state;

(ii) salaried employee of an insurer or of a managing general agent;

(iii) licensed insurance producer who adjusts or assists in adjustment of losses arising under policies issued by the insurer;

(iv) licensed third-party administrator who adjusts or assists in adjustment of losses arising under policies issued by the insurer; or

(v) claims examiner as defined in 39-71-116.

Licensing Requirements


To become a licensed Montana insurance adjuster, individuals must:

  • Be 18 years of age or older;
  • Be a resident of Montana or of a state that allows Montana residents to act as adjusters in that state;
  • Be trustworthy and of good character and reputation;
  • Maintain an office accessible to the public in Montana with records of transactions made under the license;
  • Pass the Montana exam (if a resident);
  • Submit the proper application and fee;
  • Non-residents must submit a letter of verification from their home state, or a state in which they are an adjuster, along with the application.

Reciprocity and Non Residents

Montana grants reciprocal licensing privileges to non-residents holding an adjuster's license in their home state.
Montana will also accept a DHS license for adjusters whose home state does not license

Reciprocity with Texas license

Reciprocal with Texas License? Yes.

You must take portion of the state test, covering law in Montana, to gain your license reciprocally. Montana does not require you to hold a license in your state of residence in order to enjoy the benefits of reciprocity through Texas, though you may be required to obtain a letter of certification from the state in which you were previously adjusting. .

Pre Licensing Education

Montana provides non-resident licensure to anyone licensed in his or her home state; residents must take the Montana exam.

Bond Requirement

Requires Adjuster Bond.
Type of Adjuster: Public Adjusters
Amount: $5,000
Bond Expiration information: Data Not Available

How to Apply

Visit NIPR to apply online for your resident license. Find the rules and fee information for your Montana resident individual and business entity license here.

Non-Resident adjusters can also apply via NIPR.Non-resident adjuster licensing primary rules, business rules and fees can be found here

CLM users can apply through CLM Tracker

Maintaining Your License


Your Montana Independent Adjuster license will be good for two years. All licenses must be renewed once every two years, in the licensee's birth month. There is a $100 renewal fee.
For the next two year renewal cycle, licensees will continue to report any CE courses they took prior to May 6, 2013 to the Montana insurance department .

If you are a Montana resident, you can find the rules, renewal period and fee information for your individual and business entity renewal at the NIPR website.Renewal applications are not required for resident producer licenses. To renew your resident adjuster, consultant or surplus lines license, please visit

CLM Tracker subscribed users can renew the licenses via CLM.

Electronic late renewals are allowed up to one (1) year after license expiration date for licenses in inactive status, after one (1) year applicant must use Resident License (RL) Application to reinstate.

Renew your non-resident license, at NIPR. You can find the rules for non-resident individual and business entity licensing renewals at NIPR.

Continuing Education

All resident insurance producers, adjusters and consultants licensed in Montana must complete continuing education requirements. Non-resident adjusters who live in a state with no continuing education requirements must complete 24 hours of continuing education as well. Non-resident adjusters must either complete Montana CE or designate a CE completion state. Continuing Education courses are reported directly to our office by the course providers within 30 days of the course completion. The courses must be reported to our office before the license renewal date. CLM users can track CE credits via CLM Tracker .

Persons licensed as a producer for any of the lines of property, casualty, surety, title, life, health, disability, or as an adjuster or consultant must complete 24 approved credit hours by the license lapse/renewal date.

Every licensee must include a minimum of 1 approved credit hour of legislative changes in Montana insurance statutes and administrative rules as part of each biennial continuing education filing. Every licensee, with the exception of persons licensed to sell only the line of limited lines credit insurance, prepaid legal insurance, or surety bail bonds, must include a minimum of 3 credit hours of ethics as part of each biennial continuing education filing.

License Termination or Lapse

The license can be reinstated if terminated or lapsed.


Application & Licensing Fee$50
Fingerprint Fee Fee$46
License Renewal Fee$100
Reinstatement Fee (if required) $200


840 Helena Ave, Helena, Montana 59601
Phone: (406) 444-2040, Fax: (406) 444-3497,
Email: Pam Daugherty, Lead Licensing Technician: v
Mary Arnold, Continuing Education:
Bob Moon, Deptuty Insurance Commissioner:


^ Back to Top