Main Page Not logged inLogin

For Questions, Changes or Clarifications regarding the Adjuster Licensing information, please send an email to

Last Reviewed / Modified On 01 Dec 2017.


License Types

Independent Adjuster

The Idaho Department of Insurance licenses independent adjusters.
License type: Individual and Business Entity
The classifications of the license are:
•       General lines adjuster
•       Worker’s compensation adjuster
•       Crop/hail adjuster

Public Adjuster

Public adjusters are licensed in Idaho. This license is available to individuals, agencies, residents and non-residents.

Company Adjuster

Company Adjusters are not licensed in Idaho.

Emergency Adjuster

There is an exemption to licensing when a company brings in an adjuster to handle investigation or adjusting claims in exceptional circumstances, such as a catastrophe.


(a) an attorney at law who is qualified to practice law in Idaho, (b) the salaried employee of an authorized insurer, or group of such insurers under common control or ownership, or a managing general agent, who adjusts losses for such insurer or insurers or for the authorized insurers represented by the general agent,
(c) the licensed agent of an authorized insurer who, at the insurers’s request, from time to time adjusts or assists in adjustment of losses arising under policies issuued by such insurer.

Licensing Requirements


To become a licensed Idaho insurance adjuster, Resident individuals must:
  • Be 21 years of age or more.
  • Be trustworthy and of good character, with a good reputation as to morals, integrity, and financial responsibility, and must not have been convicted of a felony or of any crime involving moral depravity.
    Have had sufficient training.
  • Pass written examination (when applicable).
  • Effective July 1, 2013, no resident of Canada may be licensed as a resident or designate Idaho as their resident state unless they have sucessfully passed adjuster exam and complied with other applicable provisions. Non-residents of Canada can not be licensed unless they have obtained a resident or home state adjusters license in another state.
  • Idaho defines an adjuster as "an individual or business entity who, on behalf of the insurer, for compensation as an independent contractor or as the employee of such an independent contractor, or for fee or commission, investigates and negotiates settlement of (property/casualty) claims arising under insurance contracts."

Non-Residents must:

  • Be eighteen (18) years old, or older, as determined from the applicant’s date of birth.
  • Must provide a valid business phone number and a residence phone number. Residence phone number can be the same as business phone number if the residence phone number is the business phone number for the applicant.
  • Accepts Adjuster Designated Home State (ADHS) electronically.
    ADHS Rules
  • In order for an applicant to designate a home state during the application process, the applicant must NOT have an active non-resident adjuster license on the Producer Database (PDB) in any state.
  • If designated home state license is inactive at the time of application allow applicant to select another non-resident state with an active adjuster license as the designated home state.
  • Applicants will not be allowed to hold an active resident producer (non-adjuster) license in a state that licenses resident adjusters, and designate an active non-resident adjuster license as their home state license.
  • Applicants who hold an active resident producer (non-adjuster) license in a state that DOES NOT license resident adjusters will be deferred to the state for further review.
  • Applicants who hold only an active producer (non-adjuster) resident license in a state that offers adjuster licensing, may not use the current resident producer (non-adjuster) license to apply for non-resident adjuster license.
  • Applicants who only hold an active producer (non-adjuster) resident license in a state that DOES NOT offer adjuster licensing may use the current resident producer (non-adjuster) license to apply for non-resident adjuster license. Application will defer to state for review.
  • If applicant has an active non-resident adjuster license in a state that does not license adjusters, and no active non-resident adjuster license, applicant must use current active resident license to renew non-resident adjuster license. Application will defer to state for review.
  • Applicant may select Idaho as Adjuster Designated Home State while applying for their Non Resident Idaho license.

Reciprocity and Non Residents

Idaho grants reciprocal licensing privileges to anyone holding a license from their home state, or if their home state does not require a license, from any other designated home state.

Reciprocity with Texas license

Reciprocal with Texas License? Yes.

Idaho only grants reciprocity to those holding a Texas resident license.

Pre Licensing Education

Idaho will license non-resident adjusters who already have a license in another state - be it their home state or elsewhere. Idaho residents must pass a Pearson-Vue exam, or, if sufficiently experienced as an adjuster, may request an exam exemption.

Bond Requirement

Requires Adjuster Bond.
Type of Adjuster: Public Adjusters
Amount: $20,000
Bond Expiration information: Data Not Available

How to Apply

Residents must:
Residents must pass the Idaho exam or demonstrate sufficient experience to waive the exam requirement.
Submit exam score
Submit proof of fingerprints in addition to your application and fee. Click here for information on fingerprinting scheduling, requirements, and fees.
Residents and Non-Residents must:
Apply online through Sircon or NIPR.
CLM users can apply through CLM Tracker.

Maintaining Your License


This license renews every 2 years. This license is good for two years and is renewable either online for $60 or by mail for $80. Renewal can be made anytime up to 6 weeks prior to the license expriation date.
Renew your license via NIPR. Adjusters who have subscribed CLM can renew via CLM Tracker .
Initial licenses may last a little more or less than two years. All required continuing education (CE) must be complete prior to renewal, or else the director will deny the renewal application.
If a licensee does not submit a renewal application with the renewal fee by the expiration date, the license will expire at midnight on the expiration date.

Continuing Education

Resident independent adjusters, and adjusters who have designated Idaho as their home state, must complete 24 credit hours of approved continuing education during each license period, and 3 of those credit hours must be on the topic of ethics. A nonresident adjuster does not have to complete continuing education for Idaho if he has already satisfied the CE requirement in his home state. CLM Tracker subscribed users can track CE credits via CLM.

License Termination or Lapse

Up to one year past expiration, the fee to reinstate is $160 and must be done by paper mail-in form for reinstatement


Initial Licensing & Application Fee$80
Fingerprint Fee$70
License Renewal Fee$60 online $80 mail-in


700 W State St., 3rd Floor or PO Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0043
Phone: (208) 334-4250, Fax: (208)334-4398


^ Back to Top