Main Page Not logged inLogin

For Questions, Changes or Clarifications regarding the Adjuster Licensing information, please send an email to

Last Reviewed / Modified On 18 Sep 2017.


License Types

Independent Adjuster

Independent Adjusters are licensed in Hawaii
License type: Individual

Public Adjuster

Public adjusters are licensed in Hawaii
License type: Individual

Limited License - Crop & Workers’ Compensation Adjuster

The commissioner may issue a limited license to an adjuster who only adjusts either workers' compensation or crop insurance claims; provided that the adjuster:

(1) Is domiciled in the State of Hawaii, or in a state that permits residents of the State of Hawaii to act as adjusters in that other state;

(2) Has had experience, special education, or training in handling loss claims under workers' compensation or crop insurance contracts of sufficiently reasonable duration and extent to enable an individual to fulfill the responsibilities of an adjuster;

(3) Has a passing grade on the workers' compensation or crop insurance examination pursuant to section 431:9-206 or has a passing grade on an examination approved by the Risk Management Agency of the United States Department of Agriculture; and

(4) Pays the applicable fees.


No Hawaii license shall not be required of a nonresident adjuster for the adjustment of losses; provided that:

(1) The common losses suffered that are to be adjusted are a direct result of the catastrophe and shall be so severe that licensed adjusters and licensed independent adjusters who are residents of this State will be unable to adjust the losses within a reasonable time as determined by the commissioner;

(2) The nonresident adjuster provides to the commissioner a certified copy of the adjuster's current license in another state. The other state shall have substantially similar licensing requirements to section 431:9-222; and

(3) Within three working days of the commencement of work by the nonresident adjuster, the insurance company, independent adjusting company, or producer that is using the adjuster shall provide on its letterhead to the commissioner:

(A) The name of the nonresident adjuster;

(B) The nonresident adjuster's Hawaii mailing and business addresses and phone numbers; and

(C) The nonresident adjuster's permanent home and business addresses and phone numbers.

Upon satisfaction of all of these requirements, the nonresident adjuster may be registered with the commissioner and adjust catastrophic losses in this State for up to one hundred twenty days from the date of registration or for a period of time determined by the commissioner, whichever is less.

As used in this subsection, "catastrophe" means insured property losses in Hawaii that result from a sudden, specific, and natural or man made disaster or phenomenon, as determined by the commissioner.


No rules for exclusions are found.

Licensing Requirements


Be at least 18 years of age;
If previously convicted of any felony, the applicant must request the commissioner's written consent to engage in the business of insurance as required in Subchapter 431:2-201.3;
Have successfully passed the Hawaii Adjuster's Exam;

Reciprocity and Non Residents

There is no reciprocity for adjusters. All individuals - residents and nonresidents - are required to successfully pass the Hawaii insurance licensing exam.

Pre Licensing Education

Hawaii requires its residents and non-residents to complete the Pearson VUE adjuster exam before applying for an adjuster license. There is currently no CE requirement for adjuster licensees.

Bond Requirement

Requires Adjuster Bond.
Type of Adjuster: Public Adjusters
Amount: $10,000
Bond Expiration information: July 16 (resident) annually
April 16 (non-resident) annually

How to Apply

Pass State exam admistered by Pearson Vue (See above).
After passing exam and before submitting application, resident adjusters are required to be fingerprinted. Schedule fingerprinting online here.
A complete application for Hawaii license including: Hawaii Producer Application Form HPL.
Original Exam passing score report (Contact Pearson VUE online or at 1-800-274-2608)

Maintaining Your License


The Hawaii Adjuster License is good for two (2) years.
You can access the state renewal system using the link

Continuing Education

There is no CE requirement for resident adjusters

License Termination or Lapse

No specific rules are found.


Application & License FeeDepending on birthday and application date.
Background check feeThe fingerprint service fee is $17.00, plus any additional state and/or federal submission fees


Hawaii Insurance Department,
PO Box 3614,
Hawaii 96811

Phone: (808) 586-2790, Fax: (808) 586-2788,
Mail forms to: Hawaii Insurance Division – Licensing Branch, 335 Merchant Street, Room 213, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813.
Phone: (808) 586-2790, Fax: (808) 586-2806, Email:


^ Back to Top