Main Page Not logged inLogin

For Questions, Changes or Clarifications regarding the Adjuster Licensing information, please send an email to

Last Reviewed / Modified On 09 Aug 2021.


License Types


An "adjuster" is any individual who, for compensation, fee or commission, investigates and settles claims arising under property, casualty or surety insurance contracts, on behalf solely of either the insurer or insured. A licensed attorney who is qualified to practice law in this state is deemed not to be an adjuster for the purposes of this article.
Adjusters are licensed in West Virginia

Public Adjuster

"Public adjuster" means an independent contractor representing solely the financial interests of the insured named in the policy.
Public adjuster has only one line of authority;
  • Property and Casualty

Independent Adjuster

“Independent Adjuster” can be an individual, a corporation, association, partnership, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, or other legal entity. A sole proprietorship can only be licensed as an individual. There are three lines of authority for an independent adjuster:
  • Property and Casualty
  • Crop
  • Workers’ Compensation

Company Adjuster

Company adjuster" means an adjuster representing the interests of the insurer, including an independent contractor and a salaried employee of the insurer. There are three lines of authority for a Company adjuster:
  • Property and Casualty
  • Crop
  • Workers’ Compensation

Emergency Adjuster

Whenever the commissioner determines that a state insurance emergency exists in the state of West Virginia, the commissioner may authorize individuals to be emergency adjusters. The commissioner may authorize such number of additional adjusters as he considers necessary to adequately address the emergency condition existing in the state. Any such emergency license is valid only for so long as the commissioner specifies, not to exceed a period of one hundred twenty days.

Adjusting Companies and Firms

Adjusting companies and firms, effective July 1, 2021, will need to become licensed as business entities pursuant to W.Va. Code §33-12B-8. The annual business entity licensing fee is $200 and can be applied for online at Applicants applying for a Business Entity license before March 1 St, 2021, will also be required to renew the license at the upcoming license renewal (June 30). Business entities do not have lines of authority. The business entity’s individual adjusters will have lines of authority for which the business entity can engage in business.


As of July 1, 2021, any company adjuster located outside West Virginia who adjusts claims solely by telephone, fax, mail, or email, and who does not physically enter West Virginia in the course of adjusting such claims will be exempted from this licensure requirement. There will no longer be a requirement for the adjuster to be located in a central office, an office, or otherwise in order to be exempted from licensure by the Insurance Commissioner. A licensed attorney who is qualified to practice law in this state is deemed not to be an adjuster for the purposes of this article.

Licensing Requirements


To become a licensed West Virginia insurance adjuster, individuals must:
Be 18 years of age or more.
Be a resident of West Virginia, or a licensed resident of a state that grants similar reciprocal licensing to West Virginia adjusters.
Be trustworthy and competent.
All West Virginia residents, as well as non-residents who live in states that are not reciprocal with West Virginia, must take the West Virginia license exam.
In the event of a catastrophe, West Virginia will issue 90-day Emergency Adjuster licenses.

Reciprocity and Non Residents

West Virginia grants non-resident licenses to applicants who hold a resident adjuster license in their home state, as long as that state is reciprocal with West Virginia (i.e. as long as that state grants non-resident licenses to West Virginia adjusters in return).
Residents of states that do not license adjusters may designate, as their home state, a state in which they have taken an adjuster exam and hold a license

Reciprocity with Texas license

Reciprocal with Texas.

Pre Licensing Education

West Virginia requires applicants to complete a licensing exam administered by Pearson VUE, unless the applicant is currently licensed in his or her state of residence and that state allows West Virginia adjusters to be licensed as non-resident adjusters.

Bond Requirement

Adjuster Bond not required for Licensing.

Fingerprinting and Criminal Background Checks

To obtain a new adjuster license type or add a license line of authority, you will need to be fingerprinted and undergo a criminal background check. Procedures and locations can be found at: fingerprints are valid for 60 days. After 60 days, if you have not obtained an adjuster license you will need to be fingerprinted again.

How to Apply

For Residents:
Complete West Virginia Adjuster Application and send it in along with a $25 application fee.
Take and pass the West Virginia exam and submit your original Pearson VUE Score Report.
If you have held any insurance license in any other state, you must present a Letter of Clearance from that state.
West Virginia Adjuster Application must be completed and sent in, along with the proper fee ($25 unless your home state charges a higher fee.)
Original Pearson VUE Score Report. Non-resident applicants who are not licensed in their home state must take and pass the West Virginia exam.
If designating a home state, home state must be identified at the top of Page 1 of the application.
NOTE: CLM users can apply through CLM Tracker.

Maintaining Your License


The license must be renewed each year on May 31st, regardless of when it was attained. CLM Tracker subscribed users can renew the licenses via CLM.

Continuing Education

West Virginia resident adjuster and any non-resident adjuster designating West Virginia as his or her home state is required to complete 24 hours of general education, including 3 hours in ethics, every two years based on adjuster birth month (commonly referred to as biennium). Adjusters with a workers’ compensation line of authority are encouraged to take at least 3 hours of continuing education courses related specifically to the adjustment of workers’ compensation claims. An adjuster can take approved continuing education courses on property and casualty, crop. or workers’ compensation.

License Termination or Lapse

No specific rules are found.


Initial Licensing Fee$50
Exam Fee$110
Renewal Fee$50
Late Renewal Fee$50

Contact Information

Agent Licensing and Education, PO Box 50541, 1124 Smith Street, Charleston, WV 25305
Overnight Address: 1124 Smith Street, Room 402, Charleston, WV 25301
Phone: (304) 558-0610, Fax: (304) 558-4966,,

^ Back to Top