TENNESSEE ADJUSTER LICENSING INFORMATION
Public Adjuster"Public adjuster" means any person, other than someone who is employed by an insurance carrier, who, for compensation or any other thing of value, on behalf of the insured:
(i) Acts or aids, solely in relation to first party claims arising under insurance contracts that insure the real or personal property of the insured on behalf of an insured, in investigating, verifying, substaining,
estimating, appraising, determining, presenting, and discussing the value of the claim, and effectuating the resolution of a claim for loss or damage covered by an insurance contract;
(ii) Advertises for employment as a public adjuster of insurance claims or solicits business or represents to the public to be a public adjuster of first party insurance claims, for losses or damages arising out of policies of insurance that insure real or personal property; or
(iii) Directly or indirectly solicits business, investigates or adjusts losses, or advises an insured about first party claims for losses or damages arising out of policies of insurance that insure real or personal property for another person engaged in the business of adjusting losses or damages covered by an insurance policy, for the insured;
Public adjusters are licensed in Tennessee.
License type: Individual and Business Entity.
Crop Insurance Adjuster
"Crop" means and includes any agricultural product, including livestock, nursery product, tree and product from a tree, as well as anything insured by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation under a crop insurance program;
Crop Insurance Adjusters are licensed in Tennessee.
License type: Individual
(a) Before issuing a public adjuster license to an applicant under this part, the commissioner shall find that the applicant:
(1) Is eligible to designate this state as the applicant's home state or is eligible for a license pursuant to § 56-6-908;
(2) Has not committed any act that is a ground for denial, suspension or revocation of a license as set forth in § 56-6-910;
(3) Is trustworthy, reliable, and of good reputation;
(4) Is financially responsible to exercise the license, and has provided proof of financial responsibility as required in § 56-6-911;
(5) Has paid the fees set forth by rule or regulation of the commissioner; and
(6) Maintains an office in the applicant's home state of residence, with public access by reasonable appointment or regular business hours, or both.
(b) In addition to satisfying the requirements of subsection (a), unless exempted pursuant to this part, an individual shall:
(1) Be at least eighteen (18) years of age;
(2) Have successfully passed the public adjuster examination;
(3) Designate a licensed individual public adjuster responsible for the business entity's compliance with the insurance laws, rules, and regulations of this state; and (4) Designate only licensed individual public adjusters to exercise the business entity's license. Crop Insurance Adjuster 1. The applicant is at least eighteen (18) years of age
2. The applicant is trustworthy, reliable and of good reputation, demonstrated on an NAIC Bio Affidavit
3. The applicant has not committed any act that is grounds for denial, suspension or revocation of a license
4. The applicant is required to pass the Risk Management Agency approved Proficiency test for multi-peril
Pre Licensing Education
Requires Adjuster Bond.
Type of Adjuster: Public Adjusters
Bond Expiration information: 1 Year or 2 Year
Link to Forms: http://tn.gov/insurance/documents/PublicAdjusterPkt.pdf
How to ApplyResident Public Adjuster 1. Schedule your examination and pay the examination fee to PearsonVue (Phone: (800) 274-4957).
2. Fingerprint based background check is required - see attached instructions.
3. Pass the required examination. PearsonVue will electronically submit your scores to the department.
4. Submit your application and filing fee ($100.00) to the TN Department of Commerce and Insurance electronically at www.nipr.com OR file the paper Uniform Application. YOU MUST WAIT 48 HOURS FROM TAKING THE EXAMINATION TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY. Processing time for paper applications is 15 days from receipt in Agent Licensing Section.
5. Surety Bond in the amount of $50,000 (form attached).
6. Proof of an Errors and Omissions Policy in the amount of $500,000.
7. You will be issued a license by the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance upon meeting all licensing requirements.
Non-Resident Public Adjuster 1. Submit the Uniform Application for Individual Public Adjuster electronically at www.nipr.com or file paper application. Paper
application processing time is 15 days from receipt in the Agent Licensing Section.
2. Filing Fee - $100.00
3. Home state verification will be perfomed through the National Producer Data Base (PDB). If information cannot be obtained through the PDB, submit Letter of Certification from home state.
4. Surety Bond in the amount of $50,000.
5. Proof of an Errors and Omissions Policy in the amount of $500,000.
Business Entity Public Adjuster Business entities operating as a public adjuster in Tennessee must obtain a Public Adjuster Business Entity License.
1. Uniform Application for Business Entity Public Adjuster License
2. Filing Fee - $100.00
3. Business entity must designate a licensed public adjuster responsible for the business entity’s compliance with the insurance laws, rules and regulations of TN.
Crop Insurance Adjuser
1. Complete and sign NAIC Uniform Application. (List Crop Adjuster in "Other" column on page 2)
2. Submit proof of the completion and passing of the Risk Management Agency approved Proficiency
Test for multi-crop adjusters.
3. A non-refundable filing fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00)
4. NAIC Biographical Affidavit
Maintaining Your License
RenewalA public adjuster license shall remain in effect for a period of two years. Renewal is on the anniversary date of licensure - $100.00 renewal fee.
A muti-peril crop adjuster shall renew every other year prior to the end of his/her birth month.
a. A completed renewal form signed by the applicant.
b. Proof of completion of no less than twenty-four (24 hours) of approved continuing education courses
c. A non-refundable renewal fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00)
Continuing EducationAn individual, who holds a public adjuster license, shall satisfactorily complete a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education courses, including ethics, reported on a biennial basis in conjunction with the license renewal cycle. The education requirements shall be in addition to any other continuing education requirements required for other professional licenses held by the individuals. Only continuing education courses approved by the commissioner shall be used to satisfy the continuing education requirement.
Nonresident public adjuster licensees who have met the continuing education requirements in their home state and whose home state gives credit to residents of this state on the same basis are not required to complete continuing education in TN.
An individual who holds a multi-peril crop adjuster license shall satisfactorily complete a minimum of twenty-four
(24) hours of continuing education courses, including ethics, reported on a biennial basis in conjunction with the license
renewal cycle. The education required shall be in addition to any other continuing education requirements required
for other professional licenses held by the individuals licensed.
License Termination or LapseA public adjuster who allows the adjuster’s license to lapse may, within twelve (12) months from the date of expiration, be issued a new public adjuster license upon the department’s receipt of the renewal form. However, a penalty in the amount of double the renewal fee shall be required, and subject to other penalties as provided by law before the license will be renewed.
|Filing Fee for Public Adjuster||$100|
|Filing Fee for Crop Insurance Adjuster||$100|
|Renewal Fee for Public Adjuster||$100|
|Renewal Fee for Crop Insurance Adjuster||$100|
ContactDEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE AND INSURANCE
Insurance Division – Agent Licensing
500 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243-1134