Main Page Not logged inLogin

For Questions, Changes or Clarifications regarding the Adjuster Licensing information, please send an email to

Last Reviewed / Modified On 22 Jul 2022.


License Types

Independent Adjuster

Independent Adjusters are licensed in New Mexico. License types: Individual, Firm or Corporation

Public Adjuster

No licensing rules are found for New Mexico

Staff (Company) Adjuster

Staff (Company) Adjusters are licensed in New Mexico. A Staff adjuster means an adjuster individual who is a salaried employee of an insurer or affiliates of the employer insurer, representing and adjusting claims solely under the policies of the employer insurer.

Temporary License

Where temporary license is otherwise provided for in the Insurance Code as to a particular category of licensee, application therefor shall be made in the same manner as applies to permanent license under this article with such modification therein as the superintendent may prescribe, and without payment of examination fee.


No exclusions are found

Licensing Requirements


To become a licensed New Mexico insurance adjuster, individuals must:
  • Be 18 years of age or older;
  • Be a bona fide resident of this state, or of a state or country that permits residents of this state to act as adjusters therein, except that under circumstances of necessity the superintendent may waive the requirement of reciprocity.
  • Be able to demonstrate a good business reputation, and must intend to engage in a bona fide manner in the business of adjusting insurance claims.
  • Have at least one year's experience or special education or training in handling claims under insurance contracts. Such experience, education, and training must be of such nature and extent as to demonstrate applicant's competence to fulfill the responsibilities of an adjuster.
  • Be bonded in the amount of no less than $10,000.
  • Pay the $30 licensing fee.
  • Must have and maintain a principal place of business in this state that is easily accessible to the public and is the place where the adjuster principally conducts transactions under the license. The address of the principal place of business shall appear on the application for license and on the license.

Non-resident Adjusters

•       Unless denied a license, a non-resident person shall receive a non-resident license if they:
•       Hold a home state license, in good standing.
•       Have submitted the proper request for licensure and has paid the required fees.
•       Have submitted the original home-state application for licensure to the superintendant or has completed the uniform application.
•       Are from a home state that awards non-resident licenses to residents of New Mexico on the same basis.
•       Special Notes
•       Surety bond required: New Mexico requires Independent Adjusters and Public Adjusters to post a surety bond with a coverage value of $10,000. The annual premium charged for this bond will vary depending on your credit rating and other factors.

Reciprocity and Non Residents

If you hold a resident license in any other state, then you may obtain the New Mexico Adjuster license reciprocally. If your home state does not license adjusters, you will need to submit a letter from your insurance commissioner or a copy of your state's statutes.

Reciprocity with Texas license

Reciprocal with Texas License? Yes.

If the state in which you hold a resident license requires CE, then those CE hours are sufficient to satisfy New Mexico's requirements. If the state in which you hold a resident license has no CE requirements, then you must comply with New Mexico's requirement of 15 hours per year.

Pre Licensing Education

While no exam is required, New Mexico makes some stipulations in regard to experience prior to obtaining their license. Further, New Mexico Independent Adjusters are required to be bonded.

Bond Requirement

Requires Adjuster Bond.
Type of Adjuster: Independent Adjusters and Public Adjusters
Amount: $10,000
Bond Expiration information: April 30, Annually
Link to Forms:

How to Apply

Complete the New Mexico Adjuster Application. Complete theIndependent Adjuster Affiliation Form. Complete the Bond Form. All application and bond forms must be notarized. CLM users can apply through CLM Tracker.

Maintaining Your License


You must renew your license every two years by the last day of your birth month A renewal notice will be mailed to every licensee the first week of March. (Must have an active bond on file.) Renewal notice and renewal fee is due back April 30th. Renewals received after April 30th will be assessed with a 50% penalty. License will be cancelled on June 1st if not renewed.

New Mexico is not accepting electronic renewals for any adjuster class licenses, even though these license types may display as being available for renewal within the application. Please contact Agents/Producer Licensing Bureau (Tel: (505) 827-4601 or Email: of the Office of Superintendent of Insurance, State of New Mexico, for more details on the renewal of adjuster licenses. The deadline for the New Mexico Application for Annual Continuance of Independent Adjuster License is April 30, 2016. Renewals received after April 30th and before June 1st, will be subject to an additional fee. The fee thereafter is equal to One Hundred Fifty Percent assessment in accordance with Section 59A-11-10(B) NMSA. (Example, $30.00 renewal fee will be $45.00 per licensee, renewal fee plus 50% late Fee, if received after April 30th.) Independent adjuster licenses not continued shall be deemed to have been terminated as of midnight April 30th.

CLM Tracker subscribed users can renew the licenses via CLM.

Continuing Education

New Mexico requires 24-hours of CE, including 3 hours of ethics, every 2-year license term. A minimum of 3 hours must be completed in a classroom or classroom equivalent courses.

CLM Tracker subscribed users can track CE credits via CLM.

As long as a nonresident adjuster satisfies his home state's continuing education requirements, he does not have to complete additional CE for New Mexico, provided his home state treats New Mexico adjusters in the same way.

License Termination or Lapse


Application & Licensing Fee$30
Affiliation Fee $20
License Renewal Fee $30


Agents Licensing Section, P.O. Box 1269, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504 Phone: (505) 827-1246, Email:


^ Back to Top