Main Page Not logged inLogin

For Questions, Changes or Clarifications regarding the Adjuster Licensing information, please send an email to

Last Reviewed / Modified On 29 Nov 2017.


License Types

Independent Adjuster

Resident Adjuster

A.C.A. § 23-64-102 (2015)

23-64-102. Definitions.

(4) (A) An "adjuster" is an individual, firm, limited liability company, or corporation who for compensation as an independent contractor or as the employee of an independent contractor or for fee or commission investigates and negotiates, on behalf of the insurer, settlement of claims arising under insurance contracts.

Public Adjuster

Public adjusters are not permitted in Arkansas

Company Adjuster

A salaried employee of insurance company who only adjusts claims of the insurance company is exempt from licensure in Arkansas.

Catastrophe Adjuster

Effective 7/31/2009 Arkansas Law requires all adjusters coming into Arkansas to adjust claims as a result of a declared catastrophe to register with the Department.

Arkansas Code Ann. 23-64-209 (d) states that an adjuster who is sent into this state on behalf of an insurer for the purpose of investigating or making adjustment of a loss resulting from a catastrophe under an insurance policy is not required to be qualified or licensed under this section if within ten (10) business days of entering the state the adjuster notifies the commissioner in writing of the adjuster's activities on behalf of the insurer.

Trainee Adjuster
The trainee adjuster shall be at all times be working at the direction and supervision of the supervisor and all insurance activities shall be done in the name of the supervisor.

Limited Line Crop Adjuster
This is a limited license which will allow individuals to adjust claims under the federal crop insurance program or adjust claims for crop hail insurance. To qualify for a limited crop adjuster license you must be 18 years old, complete forms AID-LI-CROP/ADJ and ASP-122 (if the applicant is a resident of Arkansas), and mail the completed forms and fees to the Arkansas Insurance Department at 1200 West Third Street, Little Rock, AR 72201


A.C.A. § 23-64-102 (2015)

23-64-102. Definitions

(A) A licensed attorney at law who is qualified to practice law in this state is not deemed to be an "adjuster".

(B) A salaried employee of an insurer or of a managing general agent or of any adjustment bureau or association owned and maintained by insurers to adjust losses of member insurers is not deemed to be an "adjuster".

(C) A resident agent or marine average adjuster or an agent or broker who adjusts or assists in adjustment of losses arising under policies procured through the broker or issued by the insurer represented by the agent that is appointed by the insurer shall not be deemed to be an "adjuster.

Licensing Requirements


To become a licensed Arkansas insurance adjuster, individuals must:
•       Be 18 years of age.
•       If a resident, have at least one year of experience in claims adjustment and/or must work under the direct supervision of an Arkansas licensed adjuster for 1 year after licensure to maintain the adjuster license. A licensed claims adjuster must attest that the applicant successfully completed a year of work for them.
•       If a resident or a non-resident whose home state does NOT license independent adjusters, successfully complete the Pearson-Vue exam.

A.C.A. § 23-64-209 (2015)

23-64-209. Qualifications for adjuster's license.

(a) No person shall, in this state, act as or hold himself or herself out to be an adjuster unless then licensed therefor under this chapter. Application for license shall be made to the Insurance Commissioner according to forms as prescribed and furnished by him or her. The commissioner shall issue the adjuster's license for property insurance, or for casualty insurance, or for workers' compensation insurance, or for any combination thereof as to individuals qualified therefor upon payment of the nonrefundable license fee stated in § 23-61-401.

(b) To be licensed as an adjuster, the applicant must be qualified as follows:

(1) Must be of the legal age of majority, or have had the disabilities of minority removed for all general purposes and provide evidence of same;

(2) (A) Must be a resident of this state or licensed by another state that permits residents of this state to act as adjusters in the other state.

(B) A resident of another state or foreign country shall not be licensed as a nonresident independent adjuster in this state unless the person is licensed as an adjuster in another state;

(3) Must be a full-time salaried employee of a licensed adjuster, or a graduate of a recognized law school, or must have had experience or special education or training as to the handling of property, casualty, or workers' compensation loss claims under insurance contracts of sufficient duration and extent reasonably to make him or her competent to fulfill the responsibilities of an adjuster;

(4) Must be deemed by the commissioner to be competent, trustworthy, financially responsible, and of good personal and business reputation;

(5) Must have and maintain in this state an office accessible to the public and keep therein the usual and customary records pertaining to transactions under the license. This provision shall not be deemed to prohibit maintenance of an office in the home of the licensee. A licensed, nonresident adjuster shall not be required to maintain an office in this state;

(6) (A) (i) Must pass a written examination as to his or her competence to act as a property, casualty, or workers' compensation insurance adjuster as shall be required by the commissioner.

(ii) The commissioner may give, conduct, and grade all examinations or he or she may arrange to have examinations administered and graded by an independent testing service as specified by contract, in a fair and impartial manner, and without unfair discrimination as between individuals examined.

(iii) The commissioner may require a waiting period of four (4) weeks before reexamination of an applicant who thrice failed to pass previous similar examinations. This waiting period applies after every third unsuccessful attempt.

(iv) The nonrefundable application fee shall be the same as that charged an applicant for license as an agent or broker under § 23-61-401.

(B) (i) If the application is approved and if the nonrefundable application fee is paid, an examination permit will be issued to the applicant.

(ii) The permit will be valid for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of issuance.

(iii) If the applicant does not schedule and appear for examination within that ninety-day period, the permit shall expire and the applicant may be required to file a new application and shall pay another nonrefundable application fee before issuance of another examination permit to the applicant.

(iv) If the applicant appears for examination but fails to pass such an examination, the applicant shall be required to pay a nonrefundable reexamination fee before reexamination.

(C) By reciprocal arrangements with the insurance supervisory official in the other state, the commissioner may waive written examination of a nonresident applicant for license as an adjuster, if the official certifies that the applicant is licensed as a resident adjuster of that state and has complied with its qualification standards therefor.

(c) A firm, limited liability company, or corporation, whether or not organized under the laws of this state, may be licensed as an adjuster if each individual who is to exercise the license powers is named in the license and is qualified as for an individual licensed as adjuster. An additional full license fee shall be paid as to each individual in excess of one (1), so named in the license to exercise its powers.

(d) An adjuster who is sent into this state on behalf of an insurer for the purpose of investigating or making adjustment of a loss resulting from a catastrophe under an insurance policy is not required to be qualified or licensed under this section if within ten (10) business days of entering the state the adjuster notifies the commissioner in writing of the adjuster's activities on behalf of the insurer.

(e) (1) (A) Unless exempt under subdivision (e)(2) of this section, a licensed adjuster shall successfully complete and report a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education courses approved by the commissioner within the time established by rule of the commissioner.

(B) At least three (3) hours of continuing education required by this subsection shall be in an ethics course approved by the commissioner.

(2) This subsection does not apply to an adjuster licensed in:

(A) This state for less than one (1) year; or

(B) Another state if the adjuster has satisfied the continuing education requirements of the licensing state.

Reciprocity and Non Residents

Arkansas grants reciprocal licensing privileges to anyone holding a license in their home state. If your home state does not license adjusters, you must pass the Arkansas exam through Pearson-Vue.

•       Effective August 16, 2013: Arkansas Code 23-64-102(4) has been modified and the change will allow independent adjusters who are residents of states that do not license independent adjusters to designate a home state.
•       Under certain circumstances, Arkansas will accept the designation of home state and allow a non-resident independent adjuster license without the Arkansas Adjuster Examination. See the Arkansas licensing application Form AID-LI-ADJ for more details.

ARKANSAS Non-Resident Licensingfor Individual & Business Entity:

Reciprocity with Texas license

Reciprocal with Texas License? Yes.

Arkansas only grants reciprocity to those holding a Texas resident license.

Pre Licensing Education

Arkansas requires its residents to complete the Pearson-Vue adjuster exam and have one year of experience (or work under the supervision of a licensed adjuster for one year) in order to qualify for an adjuster license. Non-residents who hold a license in their home state may apply for the license without taking the exam or meeting any experience requirements. Non-residents whose home state does not license adjusters must fulfill the same exam and experience requirements that apply to Arkansas residents.

Effective October 29, 2014: Arkansas has gone live with State Based Systems (SBS) Click here for more details.

Bond Requirement

Requires Adjuster Bond.
Amount: $20,000
Bond Expiration information: Data Not Available
Link to Forms:

How to Apply

        The license can be applied online via NIPR. CLM Users can apply through CLM Tracker.

Maintaining Your License

Renewal & Continuing Education


  • Individual licenses expire on the birth date, not at the end of their birth month.
  • No partial renewals are allowed. Applicant must renew all lines actively held in Arkansas that are offered electronically through NIPR.
  • If the licensee does not renew their viatical broker individual license class by the license expiration date, the applicant must reapply through the RL application. No late renewals are allowed for this license class.
  • Late renewals are allowed if:
    after license expiration date and up to 12 months past license expiration date
  • Renewal for the crop adjuster license class is not required if original license effective date on PDB is between August 1 and September 30 of the same year the renewal is due. CE is required for the adjuster license classe before a renewal will be allowed: Arkansas does not have a renewal grace period. The renewal is due on the expiration date of the license.

Non Residents :

  • Adjuster applicants that designated Arkansas as their home state must be CE compliant before renewing license.
  • Renewal for the crop adjuster license class not required if original license effective date is between August 1st and September 30th of the same year the renewal is due.
  • Exception: Arkansas can be selected if already listed as current ADHS state on PDB.
  • Late renewal is possible up to one year after the expiration date.
  • Arkansas issues adjuster licenses for two-year terms beginning on the date the license is issued and ending on the last day of the same calendar month, two years later

NOTE : CLM Tracker subscribed users can renew the licenses and track the CE credits via CLM.

Continuing Education
•       Residents: 24 hours of Continuing Education (of which 3 are in ethics) every two years.
•       Non-residents who do not hold a license in their home state: 24 hours of CE (with 3 in ethics) every two years.
•       Non-residents who hold a license in their home state: 24 hours of CE (with 3 in ethics) ONLY IF their home state does not already have a CE requirement. More information can be found here.


License Fees

•       Exam Fee: $98.50 for one line of authority, $148 for two, $185.50 for three. The examination fees listed above include all initial Arkansas licensing fees and the initial examination fee. These fees are fully earned when the application is processed : the fees are non-refundable.
•       Initial Licensing and Application Fee for non-residents licensed in their home state: $120.
•       Police Form Fee for Residents: $22 (made payable to the Arkansas Insurance Department)..

2015 License Renewal Fees

License Type License Fee Late Fee Total if Late
Adjuster no CE $120 $240 $360
Adjuster with CE $140 $240 $380 #
Crop Adjuster $50 $100 $150

# Late fee totals do not include continuing education late fees.

The annual renewal fee is due on the expiration date, there is no grace period. If the fee is late then a penalty of double fee is imposed and a total of $360.00 is due.

Continuing Education Providers have 10 days by Rule to file continuing education with the Department.

Continuing Education hours are due on or before the expiration date of the license.


Arkansas Insurance Department, 1200 West Third Street, Little Rock, Arkansas 72201

Phone: (501) 371-2750, Fax: (501) 683-2604,

Pearson-Vue: 1123 South University, Suite 915, Little Rock, AR 72004

^ Back to Top