Main Page Not logged inLogin

For Questions, Changes or Clarifications regarding the Adjuster Licensing information, please send an email to

Last Reviewed / Modified On 23 Mar 2016.


License Types

Independent Adjuster

Independent Adjusters are licensed in North Carolina.

Public Adjuster

Public Adjusters are licensed in North Carolina.

Self-Employed Insurance Adjuster

Self-Employed Insurance Adjusters are licensed in North Carolina

Hail adjuster

Hail Adjusters are licensed in North Carolina


No exclusion rules are found.

Licensing Requirements


To become a licensed North Carolina insurance adjuster, individuals must:
  • Be 18 years of age or more.
  • If a resident, successfully complete the Pearson VUE insurance exam.
  • Some non-residents are eligible for reciprocal licensing: If you already hold an adjuster license for the same lines of authority in your home state, then you may apply for the Non-resident license without taking the North Carolina exam;
  • If you have adopted another state as your home state for licensure (i.e., you have taken that state‚Äôs exam to qualify for an adjuster license), you may apply for the North Carolina Non-resident license without taking the exam;
  • If you are a non-resident and you do not already hold a resident license in another state, you will have to take the North Carolina exam, applying as though you were a resident.

Reciprocity and Non Residents

North Carolina grants reciprocal licensing privileges to any non-resident applicants who hold an adjuster license in any other state. Residents and non-residents who do not already hold an adjuster license elsewhere must pass the Pearson VUE exam. If you adopted another state as your home state for the purpose of obtaining a resident license (i.e. if you took the adjuster exam of a state that is not your home state), then that state can count as your resident state. You are eligible for the North Carolina non-resident license without taking the exam

Reciprocity with Texas license

Reciprocal with Texas License? Yes

North Carolina does not require you to hold a license in your state of residence in order to enjoy the benefits of reciprocity through Texas.

Pre Licensing Education

All North Carolina applicants for an insurance license may obtain an Insurance Licensing Examination Candidate Guide (free of charge) by accessing the link below or or by calling Pearson VUE at 866-265-6329. The Candidate Guide contains pertinent information relating to prelicensing and examination.

Bond Requirement

Requires Adjuster Bond.
Type of Adjuster: Public Adjusters
Amount: $20,000
Bond Expiration information: March 31 every Year

How to Apply

All license requirements must be completed within 6 months of the application date. Failure to complete the requirements within 6 months would result in forfeiture of all submitted fees and the applicant must reapply and pay all fees.
Applicants (residents or non-residents) who do not have to take the exam can apply online via NIPR and pay the application fee.
Please find the checklist for the licensing procedure in NC Here

Maintaining Your License


Residents: The expiration date for self-employed insurance adjuster, company/independent firm adjuster, and public adjuster refers only to the date when CE credits are due. All license types renew their license on March 31st every year.

Non-Residents :Accepts Adjuster Designated Home State (ADHS) electronically.Applicant may not select North Carolina as their ADHS while renewing their non-resident North Carolina license. The new ADHS selected must have an active non-resident adjuster license on the PDB.Renewal period ends on March 31st

Continuing Education

Continuing Education: If you are a: Resident or a Non-resident who took the North Carolina exam: 24 Hours of CE (including 3 ethics and 3 flood credits) are required every two years.
Non-resident who qualified for licensure because you were already licensed for the same lines of authority in your home state: Simply meet the CE requirements of your home state.
Non-resident who qualified for licensure by taking an insurance exam in another state: Simply meet the CE requirements for the state in which you took the exam.
As of March 25, 2013 Vertafore (formaly Sircon) is the Department's CE Administrator, handling all continuing education services; including provider approval, course approval, course roster processing and compliance calculation for licensees.

License Termination or Lapse

No specific rules are found.


Initial Application Processing Fee$50
License Fee$75
Registration Fee $50
License Renewal Processing Fee $40
License Renewal Fee$75


NCDOI/Agent Services Division, 1204 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1204
Phone: (919) 807-6800, Fax: (919) 715-3794 Attn: Licensing, Email: click here to email a member of the licensing department.


^ Back to Top